Your Garage Door has many functions. First and foremost it protects your valuable property and assets that are kept in your garage like your vehicle or tools. Not only does it protect your property, but it acts as a barrier and protects your family as well. A garage door that isn’t functioning properly puts the things you care about at risk so BP Garage Doors takes you and your home seriously when it comes to repairing and completion of the job. Here are 10 garage door safety tips that we would like to provide to you to keep in mind to maintain a safe and working garage door for you and your family.
10 Garage Door Safety & Security Tips:
- When mounting your garage door opener, make sure to mount the control button so it is out of the reach of children. You want it to be at least 4 to 5 feet from the floor that way your smaller children won’t be able to reach it and open the garage door when it shouldn’t be.
- Let your children know that the garage door as well as its opener is not a toy and that they shouldn’t play with it.
- Inspect your garage door visually each month to ensure all the components are working properly. Things to look at include the cables, rollers, garage door springs, the garage door itself.
- Do not repair anything you aren’t familiar with as the garage door is under heavy tension and the components if not handled correctly could cause serious injury.
- Never leave your car unlocked in your driveway with your garage door opener inside. It should be treated like a home key.
- Make sure at night your garage doors are always closed
- While on vacation, unplug the garage door or activate the vacation lock to ensure an added level of safety and protection.
- Keep the garage door closed all the way or open all the way, leaving it half way could cause it to come down and damage anything in its path.
- Don’t share your PIN code to access your garage door with anybody except those you trust very well.
- If your garage door makes any noises you aren’t familiar with, contact us right away as it could cause more damage if not treated.